2nd Bosch-ELTE Student Competition
Dear MSc and BSc Students,
It is our pleasure to announce the second Bosch-ELTE programming contest. 😊 This contest is open to every BSc and MSc students.
When it comes to navigating a vehicle equipped with autonomous driving function, the ego location shall be determined first. The obvious approach would be to use the GPS, however sometimes it is not a feasible solution (e.g. weak signal) therefore other localization techniques shall be applied.
The competition is sponsored by the Robert Bosch GmbH. The first, second, and third competitors are awarded:
- First place: 150.000 HUF
- Second place: 100.000 HUF
- Third place: 50.000 HUF
All applicants will receive a Bosch T-shirt. Students in the Top10 also get a test-driving opportunity.
Create an algorithm which is able to determine where your vehicle is located among predefined areas of Budapest. There are no restrictions regarding the language and tools, only the input and output interfaces are given.
We will provide you the following training dataset with the following properties:
- Synchronized video and lidar recordings
- 2 cameras with normal field of view (FoV) looking forward
- 2 cameras with wide FoV looking to the sides
- 1 LiDAR
- 17 different well separated locations around Budapest
- At least five recordings for each location
- Recordings were created in different points in time but cut to approximately 100m long from the same start position.
- Recordings that belong to the same location might differ as the environment changes (traffic, weather, etc.)
- Your software will be given four segments from the same locations cut from unknown recordings, that were not part of the training set
- The segments will be given in random order, but the start points will be aligned to the original sequence cutting points (0, ¼, ½ , ¾)
- The running of your software will be supervised by the organizers in a classroom
- Your software shall give back the result in .csv format right after the processing of the current input is completed, then the organizers will give you the next input
- You must localize your vehicle in total 17[locations] × 100[m] / 25[m] = 60 times
- The highest score wins.
- You can give a list of 3 location titles for each 25m of recordings
- The first element in the list shall contain the highest confidence result and worth 3 points
- The second element in the list shall contain the second highest confidence result and worth 2 points
- The third element in the list shall contain the lowest confidence result and worth 1 point
- Any incorrect answer is worth 0 point
- No answer is worth 0 point
- The three results shall be different, therefore one good result can increase your total score only once
- The maximum points that are achievable are 17 × 4 × 3 = 204
Details of the evaluation system will be published in the middle of November.
Application deadline: 2022.12.16.
The first version of the document for the evaluation can also be downloaded. If you have questions, please ask in the Teams Group or write us an email. If there are contradictions in the text, we will modify it. But we hope that now you can prepare the final implementation of your street localization method.
We have taken several recordings for developing and testing the students’ implementations. Three separate compressed data files are now available here. However, more data will be uploaded. You can observe the change of nature as winter is closer and closer in Budapest. Remark that the final data will be recorded in December.
Visit frequently this webpage to see when new data are available.
We have created a Teams group; you can join it by this URL. If you cannot join the Teams, write a letter to hajder(at)inf.elte.hu. Novel information will be spread in the team, and you can also ask the organizers if you have any questions about the contest.
|Competition Starts, 1st and Second Data Set published||12th October|
|3rd Data Set Announcement||21st October|
|Extra Data Set Announcement||28th October|
|4th Data Set Announcement||4th November|
|Documentation for Evaluation||22nd November|
|5th Data Set Announcement||23rd November|
|Last Data Set Announcement||2nd December|
|Submission/Application Deadline||16th December|
|Evaluation & Ceremony at Bosch-Campus||11th January (2023)|
- 2022.10.12. Webpage started; proposal, sensor-kit documentation, sensor parameters and two sets of data uploaded.
- 2022.10.14. New information (schedule) added.
- 2022.10.21. Third dataset uploaded. There are problems in Bosch1 and Bosch5 sequences, see the readme.docx file.
- 2022.10.28. Extra dataset published. The new zip contains data only for sequences #1…#9.
- 2022.11.04. Fifth dataset uploaded. It is full to the best of our knowledge.
- 2022.11.07. Bosch1 sequence is corrected in Fifth.zip.
- 2022.11.22. Document for Evaluation is available.
- 2022.11.23. Sixth dataset uploaded.